Your roof works very hard for you, and protects your business 24/7. Unfortunately, since it’s out of sight, it also tends to be out of mind. But the fact is that this roofing provides shelter to the physical assets on your property as well as the building structure as a whole. The time you actually end up paying some attention to it is when you find a leak in the roof and this is when you start contemplating whether you should repair or replace it.
Well, this is not a very simple question to answer. The deciding factors about whether to replace the roofing of a commercial establishment generally depend on the potential future-cost of maintaining the current roof. To ensure that you are making the right decision, it is important that you get the condition of the roof evaluated by a professional and well-established roofing company.
They will evaluate the roof as well as all the related structures and give you a detailed report about the condition of the existing roof. Certified commercial roofing experts can inspect & analyse the roof as well as the supporting structures with the latest equipment. The roofing materials that should be checked very carefully include:
- Weatherproofing membrane
The key accessories that will have to be checked include:
In addition, the assessment should also check the key installation methods & locations- the manner the membrane, scuppers, flashing, penetrations and downspouts were designed, constructed & sealed during construction/repair. Some of the items which will have to be checked as part of a detailed assessment are:
- Visual inspection of the roof for any overhanging tree limbs/loose objects which may plug-up scuppers/penetrate the membrane
- Check for any trash build-up on the roofs surface, in the scuppers & in downspout collectors & gutters
- Obvious membrane defects including punctures, ponding or separated seams. Even if the ponding is covered by a warranty, the commercial building-owner can still end-up with a hefty bill for repairs of components that aren’t covered by the roofing contractor’s warranty
- Every seam should be checked (even the ones that are not visible)
Making a Better Decision
The fact is that a roof structure can deteriorate on account of a number of factors including normal wear-and-tear or climatic factors and natural disasters such as storms. The roofing experts you have hired will identify all the possible weaknesses & existing failures and will provide you with a written assessment of their findings.
This will help you make a well-informed decision about this crucial investment. Getting the roofing properly inspected ensures that your maintenance & engineering managers have the maximum information about the condition of the roof and will be able to make a better decision about whether it’s smarter to repair or replace.
- If the roof damage is restricted to a relatively small portion of a roof & the rest of its structure are in a fairly good condition, then all the roof may require is repairs. Installing some additional fastening on the roofing cover right along the perimeter & the corners while the repair work is being carried out, will add more resistance in the spots where wind-uplift tends to be the greatest
- However, if it is assessed that there is extensive damage to the roofing or if the roof cover is in a very poor condition and has almost reached the end of its intended life, re-roofing or replacement may be the only option
- Repair or restoration should not be considered if the roof cover already has 2 or more roof covers. In this case, replacement is the only option
The Best Choice
Once you have received the detailed evaluation of the condition of the existing roof, your management team can make a more concerted decision. If the cost of repair far exceeds its benefits, you should consider replacement of the roof. Ensure that you conduct a good amount of research before you decide which roofing material you want to opt for. Get the advice of and the installation work handled by a well-established company. For more information about different roofing materials for commercial roofing, call RO Roofing on (02) 9660 5937.
Thanks so much for reading,
R.O. Steel Roofing
(02) 9660 5937